The Mauritius Sports Council in collaboration with Panagora Marketing Co. Ltd and the Ministry of Youth & Sports proceeded with the Launching of Candia Sports Medicine Programme for the Year 2015 at the St Esprit College, Quatre Bornes, on Thursday 21 May 2015 in the presence of:
- Hon. Yogida Sawmynaden, Minister of Youth & Sports
- Ms. Aurore Lam, Marketing Assistant of Panagora Marketing Co. Ltd
- The Chairperson of Mauritius Sports Council, Mrs. Sarah Rawat Currimjee and Board Members
- The Managing Secretary of the Mauritius Sports Council, Mr. Y. Oree
- The Vice President of the Board of St Esprit College, Mr. Robert Decotter
- The Rector of St Esprit College, Mr. Jacques Malié MSK, staff and students
- The Chief Executive of Trust Fund For Excellence in Sports, Mr. Michael Glover, CVO
- Advisors from the Ministry of Youth & Sports and
- Members of the press
The objectives of the talks are to make the youth aware of the benefits of Sports Medicine, proper physical activities and a good nutrition for maintaining a healthy life style.
Resource persons were in the range of Physiotherapists and Nutritionists. Secondary institutions and Senior Citizen Centres in Mauritius and Rodrigues have been identified throughout the island for the holding of the talks in the coming months.
A First Aid kit, an ice Box, booklets on Sports Medicine and sports equipments were offered to the Rector.
The Resource Persons proceeded with the talks as follows:
• Good nutrition, presented by Mrs. Anju Gowreesungkur, Nutritionist from the Ministry of Health & Quality of Life
• The importance of Physical Activities presented by Mr. Michel Chang Kye, Physiotherapist, Chairman Medical / Paramedical Committee of the Mauritius Sports Council
125 students attended the talks and were very enthusiastic to hear the resource persons.
A quiz was held with questions related to the talks on Sports Medicine at the end of the programme. Four students, namely Maximilien Fortune, Julien Yurbyapin , Akhilesh Huree and Ryan L’évéillé, answered correctly the questions and were awarded T- shirt as prizes.
At the end of the talks, Candia Milk was offered to all students.
The Mauritius Sports Council expressed its warm thanks and gratitude to Mr. Jacques Malié, Rector of St. Esprit College who gave his full support for implementation of the project.